Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pinpoints

Hello all,

First off, let me be forthright in saying this has been a very challenging and frustrating week for both of us. We have had a fair amount of trouble with communication and matching expectations between the Diocese of Taiwan and our own understanding of our work here. So, with this in mind, I would like to talk a little bit about dreams and the possibility of finding pinpoints of light in difficult situations.

There are a few major things at work in the coming two weeks: first of all, Elizabeth and I will be traveling to Hong Kong to get new visas. Our current visas expire on Saturday. Secondly, I will be traveling to the United States immediately after our trip to Hong Kong (I will literally be staying in the Taipei airport overnight to catch my flight to the U.S.) for the Diocese of Colorado Bishop's Advisory Committee on Ministry weekend. This is a weekend where I will be interviewed by the Bishop and others about the status of my call to ordained ministry. In the midst of all of this, we are still trying to get this campus ministry thing off the ground here in Taipei and find a good teaching fit for Elizabeth. Whew!

So, the first pinpoint of light: Before we came to Taiwan, Elizabeth and I engaged in a whirlwind tour of seminaries, including Yale, Virginia, General, and Sewanee (The University of the South). In this process we encountered many people who talked about their experiences applying to seminary. Most people said that they "just knew" or the school "immediately clicked" as they found the right seminary community. After four visits I wasn't quite sure. I think this partly has to do with the fact that I am not even a postulant (yet, God-willing), but it also tells me more about how I experience God's voice and call in my life.

Throughout my discernment process, I have learned to listen for God in a variety of ways. The most comfortable and reliable form being praying and mulling over an idea from many different angles and experiences. As we explored in the Theological Reflection group at CU, while lightning strikes of inspiration do occur, it is also quite possible (and perhaps more probable) for inspiration to come from a variety of sources of experience, including prayer, images, personal experience, and friends.

A few instances of divine inspiration have led me to some interesting ideas: first of all, I am being called (in ordained ministry or not) to a life of humble service. For me, this means humility in the academic world. I must resist the temptation to prove to others that I am smart by going to a school that doesn't fit me but looks really good. This means maybe a school like Yale isn't the best option. In fact, when talking to Elizabeth, opening mail from seminaries, and researching online, I get the most excited (literally, a warm and electric internal feeling) about Sewanee. For those of you (luckily) outside of the seminary world, Sewanee is kind of an odd choice. It is very small, very secluded, and not well-known for academics. It is however a wonderful family community, with a good spousal support network, good financial aid, and a solid history of educating clergy for their priestly ministry.

Now, I'm not ready to commit myself to anything. I'm still praying, listening, imagining, and dreaming. But, I did have a short dream about getting a financial aid letter from Sewanee saying I only owed $900 a year and they would pay for the other $19000. I have no idea where the numbers came from, but this could be a good thing, right?

And who knows, maybe humility will lead me to another school, or even a different vocation. But I have learned that the fit and God's plan for my education and vocation is far more important than the professors and academic programs available at any particular school.

Second pinpoint of light: A few weeks ago we were invited by Daniel, the chaplain's assistant at St. John's University, to give a talk on "Faith and Music." St. John's University is an Episcopal university in the northern tip of Taiwan. Daniel and Fr. Lennon have developed a thriving campus ministry. Each Thursday night fellowship attracts between 30-40 students. The music and programming is almost completely led by students. It was a truly amazing display of student leadership and fellowship.

The night began with a meal together with the students. We then did a 40 minute presentation which included a Nooma video, a short description of Taize, some enthusiastic Taize music singing, and Elizabeth's reflections on the vocation of teaching music fitting into God's "song" of mercy, love, compassion, and justice.

We were welcomed with open arms and enthusiasm by the students and staff and were even presented with St. John's sweatshirts. Just in case it ever gets cold here. . .

I really hope that our connection with St. John's can grow and they can be a source of assistance and guidance in the establishment of our campus ministry. We will see.

In the meantime, please enjoy our pictures of the St. John's fellowship. And just for Dustin (and for others interested in Swedish furniture) we have a picture of one of the four Ikea stores in Taiwan. More on our Ikea adventure later. . .

And please, please pray for our safety in travel. Also, please pray for Elizabeth while I am in the U.S. and for me as I meet with the Bishop and the rest of the commission on ministry.

Our next post will probably not come until November because of the crazy travel schedule.

Blessings,

Seth

5 comments:

Bruce Raymond said...

Well, one thing about Sewanne is it would be more the climate you're getting used to now. Maybe God has put you there so you could feel more comfortable in your future home.

I'm also checking out to see if I can really post a comment on a blog successfully. Mom

Meghan McConnell said...

Our parish was trying to encourage more people to sing with our wonderful choir and during the announcements our priest advised, “If you have a nice voice, then just sing out! If you do not have a beautiful singing voice, then sing twice as loud to get even.” I sing to get even – couldn't carry a tune if you gave me a bucket! However, there is always something so moving about the swell of music and people joined in prayerful song. Awesome work!

auuudra said...

many prayers for both of you, traveling and living.

naraymond said...

I'm sorry to hear about frustrations but it really sounds like there are some positive realizations and things coming out of your experience. I'll be very interested to talk with you guys about how you feel you've changed since leaving the US and how you feel being back in the states. Since my return is much closer (at least for elizabeth) i've been thinking about that a lot.

Mike said...

Hey Guys!

You sound extremely busy. I hope all of your travels are going well. Hong Kong sounds cool, if not a little overwhelming. It has gotten cold here, I will try to send some of it your way for the new sweatshirts. Keep the faith, you are doing well.

love

Mike