Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm Going Forward

On Wednesday, Elizabeth wrote a wonderful email update titled "I'm Going Forward." It was too good to keep in one format, so I am posting it here on the blog.

Two quick notes: Please check out the links to our fellow missionaries. They are in full swing and doing wonderful work. Secondly, as a little treat, you get some pictures of our favorite lian ge xiao mao (two little cats) and a giant snail found by the cathedral. Enjoy!

Coming next week. . . some thoughts about some visions and dreams I have been having in my prayer (and sleep) time. Stay tuned!

Love, Seth

I'm going forward,
Never, never turning back

While we were in New York this past summer for our two week training, some of the music we heard was from the Itipini Gospel Choir. They are from Mthatha, South Africa and many of them are children. So, a few days ago we contacted a fellow YASC missionary in Mthatha, South Africa who is working at the Itipini Medical Clinic. (To read more about Jesse, visit his blog http://mthathamission.blogspot.com/. He has just committed to a second year in Mthatha and his blog is wonderful!) Anyway, Jesse sent us a few songs through email and one of them is called "I'm Going Forward." The call and response structure as well as the simple and fundamental use of chords common in African song has always warmed my heart. To hear the lyrics 'I'm going forward, never, never turning back' pumped me up!

This past weekend we had visitors from the Episcopal Church, from New York City, Hawai'i, and San Francisco. Peter Ng, from NYC, is the contact person for all relations between Asia and the Pacific. Mimi Wu, from Hawai'i, serves on the board for Province VIII. And Rev. Jack Eastwood (and his wife Judy), from San Francisco, is the President of Province VIII. Our conversations with all were very fruitful! While talking to Peter, we found out that we should have hot water (I am waiting for the repairman as I type), I will increase my teaching hours, and Seth was given some good ideas for the beginnings of the campus ministry. It was wonderful to spend the time to sit down and talk with him. We were also able to talk to the Province VIII representatives. Seth was eager to talk to them about bringing a group of students from Taiwan to the provincial gathering in March. The gathering will be in Tempe, Arizona. We were able to get contacts and ideas for fundraising to make the trip affordable for the students. Again, it was wonderful to talk with them face-to-face. I'm going forward. . .

Just last night, I was able to make a connection I never dreamed of. When Union Carbide signed a deal with Sony about 30 years ago, a Sony team from Japan was sent to Cleveland, Ohio to receive training. My grandfather was the teacher for this training. He and my grandmother made a life-long connection with Hiroshi Abe, who was working for Sony, and his wife, Keiko. After spending 3 months in Cleveland for training, Hiroshi went home to Japan. However, every 5 years, Hiroshi and Keiko go to Cleveland to visit my grandparents. When my grandfather died a few years ago, they planted a tree in their garden in remebrance of him. My grandmother was able to visit Japan two years ago. Hiroshi, who now works for a different company, comes to Taipei on business for one week a month. When Hiroshi and Keiko found out, through my grandmother, that Seth and I were living in Taipei, Keiko planned to come with Hiroshi to Taipei to meet us! Last night, we were able to have dinner with Hiroshi and Keiko. I never thought I would be able to meet them! I've heard stories and seen pictures all of my life! My grandmother's house is full of Japanese art and pottery. It was amazing to make this connection. I can only pray that Seth and I will be able to make life-long friends while we are living in Taipei this year. I'm going forward. . .

A big thank you to our partners in mission this week: Carlen Penfold, Mollie and Nicholas Lee, Bob and Julie Stuenkel, Ron and Janet Fullmer, and Bishop O'Neill. THANK YOU!!!

We love you all, have a great day, and don't forget to send us your love in emails, they make our day.

Many blessings and much love,
Elizabeth

1 comment:

revvalmiller said...

Wow, It looks like both you and Seth are having an awesome experience. My prayers go with you.
Paz de Dios,
Valerie