Thursday, December 18, 2008

Reclaiming Joy

reclaim |riˈklām|

verb [ trans. ]
1 retrieve or recover (something previously lost, given, or paid); obtain the return of : he returned three years later to reclaim his title as director of advertising | when Dennis emerged I reclaimed my room.
• redeem (someone) from a state of vice; reform : societies for reclaiming beggars and prostitutes.
• archaic tame or civilize (an animal or person).

2 bring (waste land or land formerly under water) under cultivation : little money is available to reclaim and cultivate the desert | [as adj. ] ( reclaimed) reclaimed land.
• recover (material) for reuse; recycle : a sufficient weight of plastic could easily be reclaimed.


Elizabeth and I are entering into a new stage of our lives. I have chosen to name the first step "reclaiming joy." I especially like the second definition: bring (waste land) under cultivation. We have a lot of work to do, and some practical steps to take. I am beginning this process by cultivating an acute awareness of the joy God takes in welcoming each one of us into relationship. This joy is expressed in wonderful ways, in tears, laughter, relief, and beaming smiles.

We will have much more to say on our reclamation project as it continues. . .

curiosity piqued?


Love,

Seth

1 comment:

Mike said...

Oh Yay! I love reclamation projects! It sounds so exciting. Maybe I should start a reclamation project. MY curiosity is piqued. Tell us more.

Mike